Uneven skin tone or hyperpigmentation got you down? Hyperpigmentation is a condition in which areas of the skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin. Hyperpigmentation can be caused by sun damage, acne, inflammation and other skin injuries. Hyperpigmentation can affect any race or skin type, but individuals with skin of color have a higher risk of developing it and a more prolonged recovery period simply because they have more pigment-producing cells. The first line of defense against any type of hyperpigmentation is sunblock (15 spf or higher) . Avoid exposing your skin to direct sunlight. Use sunscreen heavily to protect your skin and help retain its tone. Here are five at home remedies to brighten, lighten and relieve uneven skin tones:
1. Cut a lemon in half and rub it onto the area of your you wish to lighten. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse the area with lukewarm water
2. Lemon juice with a bit of yogurt once a day is an excellent mild bleach. Rinse area with lukewarm water.
3. Pour some Milk into a bowl, saturate a cotton round or a wash cloth and rub it generously around your face. Milk is a natural skin bleacher. Rinse area with lukewarm water.
4. Cut the papaya into small chunks and blend. Apply the papaya pulp to face and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
5. Mix 2 tbsp of flour in a bowl and add a pinch of turmeric. Add a few drops of milk to form a paste. Apply as a mask. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Caution: Do not expect instant results. Whenever skin-lightening products are being used they should be accompanied by proper use of a full-spectrum sun sunblock.
How do you keep you skin looking bright? We wanna know…..Leave a comment:
Tracey Evelyn Reed is a visual brand specialist with over 15 years experience in the beauty industry. As an accomplished wardrobe stylist and make-up artist, she’s also a licensed esthetician. Her company, Tracey Evelyn Beautiful You, provides customized skin-care programs, make-up lessons, eyelash extensions, wardrobe consulting and personal shopping services. Tracey specializes in helping women reinvent their style and take their look to the next level. www.traceyevelynbeautifulyou.com
Follow her on Twitter at @TraceyEvelyninc